Thursday, August 15, 2013

Each Peach Pear Plum

Besides this blissful weather we've been having in Minnesota lately, one if the things I love most about summer is the produce. I love how fresh and bright all the fruits and vegetables are, and how sweet and juicy they taste. Last Friday, Dan and I made fresh bruschetta topping with ripe Romas and basil from the Minnetonka Farmer's Market. We doubled my recipe and still almost ate the whole bowl while we sat by our fire bowl out on the patio. 

That tasty treat made me think of other summer treats, especially the ones with fruit.
I thought about how my mom's mom used to get whole flats of Colorado Peaches in the summer and we would spend a day canning peaches or making treats. "I wonder where she got those peaches?" I thought. I liked the romantic idea of meeting up with a truck that had just driven up from the Rockies, and exchanging a few dollars for those trays of stone fruits. After a bit of Googling I found equally delicious Georgia peaches (and pecans!) fresh from the truck through Willow Fruit, LLC. However, since the summer has been clicking along at such a quick pace, to say I was disappointed that the trucks have already passed through our state would be an understatement. Oh well, next year. 

I settled with some peaches from the store and decided to try making a cobbler for the first time. I based mine off of this recipe from the most recent issue of Food Network Magazine (one of, like, 9 food magazines to which I subscribe....I have a problem). Their recipe also called for plums, which I didn't have and I don't really like so I didn't use them. Either way it reminded me of the book Each Peach Pear Plum that my mom used to read to us when we were little. The cobbler was sweet, fresh, juicy and all the other things a summer fruit dish should be. I may have to wait until next summer to chase my peach truck, but you betcha I'll be making this again before the leaves turn.


Peach Biscuit Cobbler
Modified from Food Network Magazine
September 2013 Issue
Made 4 large servings 
(or 5-6 small servings)
Ingredients
For the filling:
butter for the dish
3-4 peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
(original recipe would have had ~1/2 pound plums, which I omitted, next time I would sub nectarines or pears to add more complexity)
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
1/2 teaspoon grated peeled ginger (I used powdered, and way less)
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons flour

For the biscuits:

3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, more for dusting
2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup buttermilk, plus more for brushing
Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
Directions
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter a shallow baking dish : I used my 3 cup Pyrex pan which is just over half the size of a 9x9.

Bubbly, warm peaches hiding under tender biscuits

2) With your hands, toss the peaches and any other fruit in a bowl with all the other filling ingredients except the flour. Then sprinkle on the flour and toss again (use your hands). Pour into the dish.

3) Whisk the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender. Add the buttermilk and stir with a fork just until dough forms. Don't mix too much or they'll get tough. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead a few times to bring it together more. Pat out to a 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out about 6 biscuits with a 2-inch-round cookie cutter (I used my doughnut cutter with the hole removed), probably rerolling once.

4) Lay the biscuits on top of the filling. Brush with buttermilk and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake until the biscuits are golden and the filling is bubbling, about 40 minutes. I would put a piece of foil on the rack below the cobbler because mine bubbled over and burnt on the bottom of the oven.
It was best served warm, and we added vanilla bean ice cream the second time around. Next time, like I mentioned, I would add another fruit like originally called for to add a layer of flavor. I would also try it with apples and cinnamon instead of peaches and ginger in the fall.


It didn't last long...

No comments:

Post a Comment